What Is Gastric Bypass Surgery? Is It A Good Option To Lose Weight?
What is gastric bypass surgery? Is it a safe option to help a person lose weight? What does this surgery do inside you to achieve weight loss? Sometimes, we are too overwhelmed with the thought of losing weight. Some people may also have health conditions that make it difficult for them to reduce excess fats. That’s why they are coming up with the idea of undergoing surgery. Meanwhile, in a surgical room, you can find compressor brands like Cattani. Surgeries often need compressors as an essential tool during surgeries.
What is gastric bypass surgery?
This surgery involves shrinking the size of the patient’s stomach to reduce the capacity when eating. The stomach and the small intestine will be different in handling the food taken. As a result of the surgery, the stomach will become smaller, making you feel stuffed even with a small quantity of food.
Overall, gastric bypass surgery, including the other surgeries to lose weight, falls under bariatric surgery. It involves making changes in the digestive system to support the aim of losing weight. Usually, bariatric surgery takes place if diet and exercise don’t work for weight loss.
In actuality, undergoing a surgical procedure might be someone’s last resort for them to lose weight. These people might have tried everything already to reduce their body weight, but nothing seems to work. On the other hand, it could also be they don’t want to exert much effort in losing weight.
Reasons why people undergo this surgery
In general, too much weight could be life-threatening. It could lead to various health diseases that put a person’s life at high risk. The following are the health diseases that an overweight person can develop.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease involves returning acidic stomach juices or food and fluids up to the esophagus.
- Heart disease – it could be various conditions that affect the heart.
- High blood pressure – your BP is higher than its average level.
- High cholesterol – can lead to the development of fatty deposits in the blood vessels.
- Obstructive sleep apnea – a person’s breathing stops involuntarily for brief periods.
- Type 2 diabetes – the body doesn’t use insulin properly.
- Stroke – can occur when a blood vessel has a blockage causing the interruption of blood supply to the brain.
- Cancer – cellular growth changes uncontrollably.
- Infertility – getting pregnant is not happening despite frequent unprotected contact.
These diseases may not be everything that can develop once a person is overweight. In this case, a reduction of weight is essential to prevent these from occurring.
What are gastric bypass surgery’s potential health risks?
All surgical procedures have associated risks that a patient should be well aware of. The surgeon should discuss and make the patient understand the potential consequences of the process. Here are the short-term or long-term risks that a patient might experience.
- A patient can experience excessive bleeding after the surgery.
- There is also a possibility of infection.
- Additionally, a patient can experience adverse reactions to anesthesia.
- Blood clots can also appear after the surgical procedure.
- Furthermore, there is also a chance that a patient can develop lung or breathing problems.
- Besides that, there is a possibility of leaks in your gastrointestinal system.
- Bowel obstruction might also exist afterward.
- Even malnutrition is a risk that a patient might face in the end.
- In rare cases, death can also happen.
These risks can be a hindrance to a person’s daily activities. What is gastric bypass surgery? It is something you can find answers to with your surgeon. Overall, the best thing to do is coordinate entirely with the surgeon about every single detail of the surgery to undergo.
On the other hand, you may consider watching this short video wherein a doctor explains how this bypass surgery becomes beneficial and turns out as the only solution for obesity.
Benefits of losing weight
Losing weight has its benefits as well. People have to find their source of motivation to achieve a successful weight loss. Furthermore, it is challenging, and losing weight is not instant. Every person who is into reducing weight has to exert effort.
The benefits a person can incur from weight reduction are health benefits and lifestyle benefits. Additionally, there will be a significant improvement in the quality of the relationships they have around.
However, losing weight should not be solely to make someone else happy. It has to be more than that. People should think of weight reduction to improve themselves, and not to please other people.
In this case, what is gastric bypass surgery for them? Will they undergo this risky surgical procedure only to see someone else happy? Wouldn’t it be better to undergo such surgery, thinking how it can significantly change their life for a very long time?
In general, losing weight is a commitment. It is about staying consistent in self-caring, whether the natural way or through surgery. If the intention is temporary, weight can still come back, and the efforts will be useless.
Food for thoughts
At first, you have to ensure settling everything beforehand. Consulting your surgeon is essential because there is a possibility that surgery is not the only option for you to lose weight. Moreover, you have to understand what you will go through clearly.
So, what is gastric bypass surgery for you? How much do you think it would benefit you? Answers are available from your surgeon’s office. Visit them, and they would gladly provide you all the details you need.